Here are my Top 10 guidelines for successful worship ministry. I have been leading worship teams for 30 years, but I still go back to this list to see what I need to work on!
Drum roll please… Let’s start with #10
10. Never stop growing
- Are you practicing your singing and playing on a daily basis?
- Are you taking lessons and improving your craft and leadership?
- Are you changing and growing with the new trends, styles and songs?
9. Develop your organizational and admin skills
- Are you writing (or buying) great charts for your band?
- Are you running organized and productive rehearsals?
- Are you creating timely schedules for your musicians and planning ahead on the church calendar?
8. Keep working on a good relationship with your pastor
- Do you have a weekly meeting with your pastor?
- Are you supporting your pastor in private and public?
- Have you ever had your pastor and his wife over for dinner?
7. Mentoring is one your most important jobs
- Are you looking for and developing the potential leaders on your team?
- Are you giving room for new leaders to lead a song or worship time?
- Jesus spent over three years developing His team; are you following His example?
6. Develop a great team
- Do you have a system for bringing along new musicians?
- Are you developing multiple musicians for each position?
- How are you helping your team grow spiritually?
5. Learn to pick great worship songs
- Are you teaching your congregation the great songs from around world?
- Do you ever go outside your preferences in musical styles?
- Are you developing a balanced repertoire of fast, medium and slow songs?
4. Be a great worshipper
- Are you keeping it real? Be authentic; are you the same on and off the stage?
- Are there areas in your life that are holding you back from God’s richest blessings?
- Do you love the Lord with all your heart and are you a passionate worshipper?
3. Love the church like Jesus loves the church
- Are you building God’s kingdom or yours?
- Do you love the people you are leading?
- Jesus laid down His life for us, are you willing to lay down your life?
2. Love your spouse and family
- Are you carving out regular time in your schedule for your spouse and family?
- Are you taking one day off per week?
- When is the last time you had a date with your spouse?
1. Love and spend time with God daily
- Are you reading your Bible daily?
- When is the last time you memorized a Bible passage?
- How is your prayer life? Are you praying and obeying?
Here are some related posts:
- 10 Ways To Improve Your Worship Team ~ Part 1 of 4
- 10 Tips On Improving Your Worship Band Rehearsal
- 12 Keys To Picking Great Songs For Worship
- Actions Speak So Loud
- Bible Reading Challenge
- 8 Tips On Taking Your Sunday Morning Worship To The Next Level
This article originally appeared here.