Visual information has increased.
- 4000% in literature since 1990
- 9900% on the Internet since 2007
- 142% in newspapers
Kids are visually wired.
- 50% of their brain is involved in visual processing
- 70% of all their sensory receptors are in their eyes
- They get the sense of a visual scene in 1/10th of a second
It only takes 150ms for an image to be processed and 100ms to attach a meaning to it.
Kids suffer from information overload.
- Kids today receive 5x more information than kids in 1986 did
- They consume 34 gigabytes or 100,500 words outside of school each day
- They only read 28% of the words when visiting a website
Visual communication is more engaging.
- Color visuals increase the willingness to read by 80%
Visual communication increases comprehension.
- Text only is 70%
- Text with pictures is 95%
Kids follow directions with text and visuals 323% better than directions with just text.
67% of kids are persuaded by speakers who use words and visuals vs. 50% who only use words.
Visual communication is easier to recall.
- Kids remember 10% of what they hear.
- Kids remember 20% of what they read.
- Kids remember 80% of what they see and do.
Visual communication is fun for kids!