The completion of a dream – a goal – a challenge – feels great after crossing the finish line.
- Have you been ready to give up a dream?
- Are you fearing the next steps?
- Do you feel in over your head?
- Are you afraid? In pain? Having to stretch yourself simply to keep going?
- Do you think this job is bigger than you can do?
- Are the steps ahead confusing, overwhelming, or seemingly unbearable?
Often you simply need a little motivation – a little push. I’ve experienced one brief prayer give me the strength to keep going. Whatever it takes – don’t quit too soon!
For inspiration, read from the Bible Judges 6 and 7 and the story of one of my favorite Bible characters Gideon. (Notice God called him “valiant warrior” before Gideon knew he was.” Judges 6:12)
Get help if you need it. Never be afraid to admit your weaknesses. Call out to friends, advisors and, of course, God. Keep growing as a person and a leader. Do all you know to do, but keep putting one step in front of the other. Often it’s that next step that makes the turn towards the finish line.
You don’t want to miss the thrill of crossing the finish line. No one can take that thrill away from you.
This article on common excuses originally appeared here, and is used by permission. Check out Ron’s leadership podcast where we discuss issues of leadership nuggets in a practical way. Plus, check out the other Lifeway Leadership Podcasts.