Our church is in jeopardy of existing for us rather than for them. We’re in jeopardy of growing the institution of the church rather than the people of the church. And we’re always in jeopardy of becoming a well-liked brand rather than pointing the culture to the infinite goodness of God.
So what should we do? How do we stop our drift and shift out of autopilot? With focus, intention and effort, we need to:
- Check our hearts and our motives.
- Remind ourselves of the mission often.
- Repeat the vision regularly.
- Keep Jesus at the center.
- Put people before the organization.
- Do it all with a sense of desperation.
After all, if we fail to take the reins, we’re already as good as dead no matter how long we keep the doors open. So … go!