As leaders, we all have bad days. Days when nothing goes right and everything we touch goes sour. All leaders have been there. You simply cannot be a leader and not have bad days.
The question then becomes what can we learn from the days we wish would simply just end. The following are 10 Lessons Leaders Can Take From Bad Days:
- Bad days are normal. You are not alone. We have all been there. Many reading this post are there right now.
- Bad days remind you the task is not easy and never will be. If you read the Bible from cover to cover, you will not find an instance where God ever called a leader to an easy task.
- Bad days remind us we are leaders. It sounds counterintuitive, but it is true. If you feel you are constantly being kicked in the backside, it simply means you are out front leading.
- Bad days are why leadership is desperately needed. It is when things are difficult or unclear that leaders are desperately needed. Leaders are the ones who help individuals navigate these times.
- Bad days are times for personal development. Sometimes events take place as a result of our actions or poor decisions. We need to accept the consequences, learn from them and improve.
- Bad days will eventually come to an end. All storms have one thing in common—they end. Every day, whether good or bad, comes to an end. Tomorrow is a new day and the sun will rise again.
- Bad days need to be compartmentalized. If you have a bad day at the office, it should not affect your home. Your home should be a sanctuary.
- Bad days remind us about the importance of priorities. My personal relationship with Jesus Christ and my family are the two most important things in my life. They will love me when it seems no one else does.
- Bad days are neutralized with solitude. As leaders, tough times force us to step back, get alone, find a quiet place and gain a proper perspective of the situations we are facing.
- Bad days can be a gift. As leaders, difficult people and situations force us to press into Jesus and trust Him for our next steps. It is these times that bring deeper intimacy with the One who loves us most.
I hope this post encourages you. Leadership is a wonderful, marvelous thing. It has incredible perks but also comes with an incredible price. When you are paying the price of a bad day, pull out this list and look at the bigger picture. You are being shaped into the leader you were meant to be.