I tweeted this yesterday…
“Being filled with vision doesn’t always mean that God is inspiring us…but rather that He’s disturbing us!”
AND…I can’t get that thought out of my mind.
My fear for those of us in ministry is that we don’t want to be disturbed…we want things to come easy, for the dots to always connect and for the story to always have a happy ending.
BUT…the more I read the Scriptures the more I see that the visions that resulted in the biggest impact were the ones that were the most disturbing to the people who received them.
- Moses was DISTURBED that a nation was enslaved…and for 40 years he dedicated himself to God’s vision.
- David was DISTURBED that Goliath mocked God and Israel…and he walked where no one else was willing to walk to try what no one else was willing to try.
- Nehemiah was DISTURBED that the walls had been torn down in Jerusalem…and he established a plan and relentlessly followed through on all that God had put in his heart.
- Esther was DISTURBED that her people were going to be destroyed…and she placed personal preference and comfort aside and risked her life in order to do what was right.
- The prophets in the OT were DISTURBED that people were living in rebellion against the voice of the Lord…and were willing to be unpopular so that His truth could be proclaimed.
- Paul was DISTURBED that religion was trumping a relationship with God…and ultimately gave his life for the spreading of the message that Jesus, not religion, saves.
Great leaders are the ones who are willing to allow God to disturb them, to bother them…to make the vision so personal that they don’t just think about it…they feel it!!!
We aren’t called to seek comfort, affirmation from others, convenience, popularity, personal preferrences and safety! The leaders that we admire in the Scriptures didn’t…and JESUS NEVER modeled that for us!!!
We are called to be disturbed!
I am praying that God will raise up more and more leaders who lead out of a burden rather than boredom…
Who lead out of conviction rather than convenience.
Who lead out of vision and not just “wishin!”
Who lead with passion rather than apology.
We are called to be disturbed…to be broken over the things that break HIS heart!!!
Disturb us God!