As church leaders prepare budgets for the coming year, consider the following list of most common budget preparation errors:
- Not allowing enough time to prepare the budget.
- Not knowing in advance the expected results of spending money.
- Not proving the need to spend more money.
- Not providing enough money to do the job right.
- Not being specific enough on how money will be spent.
- Not properly reviewing budget requests.
- Not purchasing quality and reliable equipment.
- Not properly forecasting funds available to spend.
- Not having realistic expectations.
- Not establishing criteria for the appropriate use of church funds.
Your Church Sept/Oct 2008