7. Conduct events outside the church walls and invite every local student. Examples include concerts, BBQs, bowling nights, dodgeball tournaments, sporting events, laser tag, arcades, etc. Remember, the goal is building relationships with unchurched students, not whacking them with Bible verses. I love 3rd spaces in youth ministry because they encourage fun and craziness!
Questions for Youth Workers
- Do you stop to consider what unchurched students think about your youth ministry environment?
- What is the general feedback when an outsider attends your youth group?
- How often are you thinking about unchurched students in your youth ministry programming?
- Do you tend to get students to believe before they officially belong? Or do you allow unchurched students to fully participants in your ministry before they accept Jesus?
- What other 3rd places would you recommend?
- How can we encourage unchurched and churched students to intersect?
- What neutral spaces exist in your church environment and community?