This week I have the honor of being a part of the Social Media Team at the Orange Conference … that just means I get to share amazing things I am learning from some amazing leaders online on this blog and through @Michael_Bayne and @ParentMinistry on twitter! I hope this week you will follow along with what I am learning, and if you are striving to do parent ministry in your church I want to connect with you!
Conference time is a big deal because it’s a time to refuel, connect and dream. I know it’s expensive, but you have to remember it’s an investment in your leadership ability. I am an admitted conference fan and I love learning from other leaders. I have learned that there are some ways you can maximize your conference experience, so I thought I would share seven ways I have learned to make the most of the investment of time and money.
- Take good notes—You remember so much more when you write and listen!
- Make new friends—Use the time to talk to complete strangers and actually meet friends you follow online. Don’t waste a chance to ask other leaders questions.
- Be present—Do everything you can to block out noise from home. Let home take care of itself and be fully engaged.
- Be open to new ideas—Don’t look for affirmation of what you already do, but rather think about new ways of doing ministry.
- Don’t be critical of other leaders—Don’t be the guy bashing every breakout speaker! Simply learn and respect where they are coming from.
- Leverage meal times—Grab a meal with as many ministry leaders as possible and process ministry with them.
- Make a must-do list during conference—Don’t allow important ideas to go away at the end of the conference! Make a list for action!