I enjoyed Coach Shef’s session today at Orange on freeing volunteers.
Tom shared a few realities about not just student ministry but about anything involving a team.
– It will always seem that 20% of your leaders are going after the mission with full force, 60% will be giving what they can but inconsistently, and the last 20% may be doing their own thing that is possibly against the program values.
How do you make changes in that team and bring clarity?
1. Resolve yourself to the fact that it will take time. “You don’t see a change but instead realize that it happened.”
2. Get great people in the room. – Look for people with time, maturing faith, and character. With character they must exhibit abilities that have proven to meet the demands of life.
3. Decide that this is not your ministry. – How will it thrive when you are not around?
4. Simplify your ministry and their job. – Tom laid out these job responsibilities.
- Prioritize your relationship with Christ
- Partner with you parents
- Spend time on their turf
- Keep it real
- It’s a bout the journey
5. Let them go to do their job or let them go when they know it’s not their job.
Tom recommended this book as well. Good to Great for the Social Sector.