Last week I had a meeting with an incredible group of church leaders. As part of our initial time together, I like to ask each of those in attendance what brings them back to their church week after week. After all, in America, there is no shortage of churches to attend. Often, there is one on every corner. So I am particularly interested in what is it about this particular church that so connects you to the heart of God?
As we went around the room and I heard each person’s individual story, one response stopped me dead in my tracks. It was unlike any answer I had ever heard.
The gentleman looked right at me and very calmly but with extreme certainty said the following words, “You travel a lot. Do you know how you feel when you arrive back at home? That’s how I feel when I come to this church.”
His words pierced my heart and have stuck with me all week. Going to church should feel like coming home.
As I gave it some thoughts, I realized there are 10 Ways Coming to Church Should Make You Feel Like You Are Coming Home:
- My family, which I love, is at home. I should have a church family I love as well.
- People are happy to see me when I come home. They welcome me home. People should be happy to see me at church. It should be as though they are welcoming me home.
- I am loved unconditionally when I come home. I should be loved unconditionally when I come to church.
- I am treated with kindness when I come home. I should be treated with kindness when I come to church.
- I know my role and where I fit at home. I should know my role and where I fit at church.
- I can rest and relax at home. I should be able to rest and relax at church.
- I laugh and have fun when I come home. I should be able to laugh and have fun when I come to church.
- I can sleep in my own bed at home. I am comfortable. I should be comfortable when I come to church.
- I feel safe and secure at home. I should feel safe and secure when I come to church.
- I matter at home. My life should matter when I come to church as well.
How do you feel when you arrive at church? Is it anything like I just described?