If you are currently feeling that your leadership assignment is more than you can bear, I want to encourage you–Hang in there!
John Ortgbertg once said, “If you read the Bible from cover to cover, you will never find where God called someone to an easy task.” Regardless of your religious beliefs, John is right. Leadership is not easy. Leadership is an obligation.
The following are just some of the things those in leadership are obligated to do:
- Take Risks
- Receive Criticism
- Display Great Courage
- Do Tremendous Preparation
- Be Responsible for the Welfare of Others
- Make Hard Choices
- Go First
- Experience Loneliness
- Make Mistakes
Leadership, however, is a noble calling which does the following:
- Leadership is the composite picture of our preferred destination.
- Leadership equips us with the skills and mobilizes us to achieve that future.
- Leadership builds teams.
- Leadership inspires us.
- Leadership gives us opportunity.
- Leadership protects us.
- Leadership makes us feel we can accomplish things we previously could not have imagined.
- Leadership finds solutions and solves problems.
- Leadership sends us forth to a time we cannot see. Leadership leaves a legacy.
- Leadership changes the world.
For this type of leadership, we are grateful.
If you’re feeling overwhelmed by your leadership responsibilities, if you think the grass is greener on the other side, if you feel like no one cares, if you think that it just isn’t worth it anymore, if you feel like quitting, please stop and reconsider.
We are deeply grateful for your faithfulness to your leadership obligations. You need to be reminded that you are making a difference. Thank you for leading.