Matt McGill over at Love God, Love Students had a great post about the discussion he leads with his small group guys. Thought some of these tips might come in handy for a volunteer training in your future:
- I don’t ask questions because I know there are “three or four” correct answers…who knows what insights will emerge?
- we can’t interrupt one another, cause it’s hard to share and harder when we’re interrupted
- there will be silences…you may feel it’s awkward
- I’ll be learning along side you, and sometimes I’ll be quiet after a response trying to understand it better, I’d rather understand a new thought than have my next “agenda item” ready to fire off
- Some thoughts will be half baked, and sometimes we’ll start taking and then not know how to end the thought
- I don’t answer very many questions…I don’t really need to because usually we come to the right answers together…this is really frustrating for some