16. When your husband/wife breaks your trust, give them your forgiveness instantly which will promote healing and create the opportunity for trust to be rebuilt. You should be quick to say, “I love you. I forgive you. Let’s move forward.”
17. Be patient with each other. Your spouse is always more important that your schedule.
18. Stay away from porn or anything that creates sexual fantasy apart from your spouse. Don’t just be physically monogamous; be mentally monogamous.
19. Be your spouse’s biggest encourager, not his/her biggest critic. Be the one who wipes away their tears, not the one who causes them.
20. Never talk badly about your spouse to other people or vent about them online. Protect your spouse at all times and in all places.
21. Always wear your wedding ring. It will remind you that you’re always connected to your spouse and it will remind the rest of the world that you’re off limits!
22. Make your faith a priority. Pray with each other and for each other. Every marriage is stronger with God in the middle of it.
23. Instead of nagging about your spouse, try bragging about your spouse! Focus on what they’re doing right instead of always pointing out what they’re doing wrong.
24. When you’re facing struggles, don’t blame each other. Instead, work together with mutual respect to find solutions.
25. Never stop flirting with your spouse and never start flirting with anyone else!
26. Don’t expect your spouse to read your mind. Clearly communicate your thought and feelings. Take time to talk to each other AND listen to each other.
27. Work together as partners. Never let your spouse face a struggle without your encouragement, partnership and support.
28. Don’t put your marriage “on hold” for the sake of your career, hobbies or any other pursuit. Don’t sacrifice your marriage in the pursuit of lesser things.
29. Consider your husband/wife in EVERY decision you make, because all of your decision will impact them in some way.
30. Never consider divorce as an option. Remember that a “perfect marriage” is just two imperfect people who refuse to give up on each other!
For additional tools to help you build a stronger marriage, please check out our new resources at FightingForMyMarriage.com.
This article originally appeared here.