Welcome to the new reality of the online church, online small group and Zoom videoconferences galore. Just because we are re-opening churches, these technologies are here to stay. I don’t know about you, but when I became a worship leader, I don’t remember also signing up to do videography!
These three items from Amazon will up your video game immediately. You might not care what you look like, but if what you are communicating is important, then you might as well make it (and you!) look as good as possible. That means videography. Put all three of these together and you can frame your face in a variety of ways. Things will look and sound better.
1. A nice HEAVY BOOM STAND to hold your phone: because a microphone stand is 100 times more adjustable and easy to use than a typical camera stand. I recommend the DR Pro Tripod Mic Stand with Telescoping Boom
2. A nice METAL ADAPTER thingy to affix the adapter. I know, “thingy” doesn’t sound very technical—but it works! I recommend the On Stage CM01 Video Camera/Digital Recorder Adapter
3. A nice PLASTIC ADAPTER to cradle your phone. That’s right, you really do need two adapters to safely mount your phone to a mic stand—but they’re cheap! I recommend the Ailun Tripod Phone Mount Holder.
All three of these fit together seamlessly. You can check out my two-minute YouTube to see how your life will be easier—and you can thank me later.
Here are two Bonus Tips, one for lighting, one for sound:
- THIS SELFIE LIGHT from QIAYA really helps. It will up your lighting game and make you look like a Kardashian.
- You can up your audio for FREE by talking louder, getting closer, and closing the door. But if you want to spend money, try this highly rated microphone for iPhonefrom Shure: the MV88. Shure even provides two free apps that allow you to customize the performance and set-up of the microphone for professional audio and video capture
(Alternate #2: If you prefer here is an option for Android. It’s from the folks at Rode.)