California has the most churches on the Largest list with 15, followed by Texas with 12.
Almost half (41) of the Largest churches identify themselves as “nondenominational.”
The youngest church on the Largest list is The Church of Eleven22 in Jacksonville, Florida (No. 41), founded in 2012. The oldest is Mountain Christian Church in Joppa, Maryland (No. 83), founded in 1824.
Top 5 Fastest-Growing U.S. Churches
(Church Name, Location, Pastor, Attendance Growth by Number and Percentage)
1. LifePoint Church in Clarksville, Tennessee, Mike Burnette (Growth: +1,922; 103 percent)
2. Action Church in Winter Springs, Florida, Justin Dailey (Growth: +1,529; 84 percent)
3. Crossroads Church in Cincinnati, Ohio, Brian Tome (Growth: +6,867; 24 percent)
4. Life Church Green Bay in De Pere, Wisconsin, Shawn Hennessy (Growth: +1,213; 39 percent)
5. The Bridge in Spring Hill, Tennessee, Josh Howerton (Growth: +885; 55 percent)
Colorado Springs, Colorado-based Outreach magazine offers the ideas, insights and stories of today’s outreach-oriented Bible-based churches. Founded in January 2003 by church communications company Outreach, Inc., Outreach is an award-winning and leading periodical for church leadership. Outreach is available by subscription.
The Outreach 100 lists were compiled by LifeWay Research and include only Protestant churches—as defined by the American Religious Data Archive—that opted to participate in the study. The Outreach Magazine/LifeWay Research Special Report is based on a self-reported survey, not an independent investigation. Outreach and LifeWay Research are not responsible for errors or discrepancies in self-reported data or churches not opting to report. Copyright © 2018. All rights reserved.