Each year for the last few years, I’ve made a sign for my Life Group. This, believe it or not, has been a great youth ministry tool.
Here’s how I’ve used it and how it’s helped:
- I put it outside my front door every week for Life Group.
– If the sign is ever not out, parents know something’s different so they don’t drop off their kid and drive off. They probably missed a message and don’t know we’re at the church, or we’re off for some reason.
– If mom always drops off her son, but dad is doing it one week, it makes it easier on dad to make sure he is in the right place when he comes back to pick up his son. I live in a condo and they all look alike.
- I take this to any event we have so parents know they’re in the right place.
– This has become a bit of a joke. Parents laugh at how organized I am (in a good way).
– Parents think I’m more organized because I put out a sign. Hmmm…how’s that for an easy win. We work hard for them to have a good perception of us. There’s an easy one I didn’t have to work hard for.
- I used it as a keepsake one year for a student who moved away at the end of the year.
– We all signed the back of the sign.
– He’s now in college, but still has this sign in his room. I’ve been out to see him a couple of times and always see that as a youth ministry trophy—we did something as a group that supported one of our own during a difficult time and he still appreciates it several years later.
Here’s the point of telling you all of this: Sometimes we stumble across the simplest things in youth ministry that become unlikely, but very helpful, youth ministry tools. What have you discovered that works for you? Share it with us. We’d love to post it on the blog or you can post it in the comments. If this sign idea somehow works for you, please use it. What do you have that the rest of us can think about using?
This article originally appeared here.