NASHVILLE (BP) – A Department of Justice investigation into the Southern Baptist Convention is currently directed at one entity and no individuals.
As of Aug. 15, only the SBC Executive Committee had been subpoenaed. Jon Wilke, media relations director for the Executive Committee, confirmed the news to Baptist Press Tuesday (Aug. 16).
Wilke was unable to provide specifics as to what triggered the DOJ’s interest, what potential criminal activities are being examined or the scope and time frame of the investigation, citing it as an ongoing legal matter.
“The SBC is fully cooperating with authorities, and remains committed to addressing the scourge of sexual abuse,” Wilke said.
Speculation has pointed toward the Guidepost Solutions report, released in May, as the genesis for the investigation. However, a Guidepost representative told BP that the organization would not be commenting at this time.
“Our commitment to cooperate with the Department of Justice is born from our demonstrated commitment to transparently address the scourge of sexual abuse,” the statement read.
The Tennessean newspaper reported a statement from David Boling, a spokesperson for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Middle District of Tennessee.
“While we are aware that the SBC has made certain confirmations about this matter, the U.S. Attorney’s Office does not confirm or deny the existence of an investigation,” Boling said in the statement.