Can’t find a church? Can’t find a pastor? You are not alone. Millions of Christians have been in the same place for 2,000 years all over the world…not just in oppressive regimes, but in Christian cultures as well. There can be an absence of safe places to gather where there are no churches or where there are thousands. So you may be one of many people trying to figure out how to start a church.
It is a control-driven church culture that demands there be theologically trained leaders who are accountable to centralized authorities. That isn’t necessary, and it isn’t required. Don’t be afraid.
The Easy Guide for How to Start a Church
1. Choose a place and time…anywhere, anytime, any frequency.
2. Tell your friends who want something like this.
3. Inform them of the intention: church, fellowship, community, worship, prayer, etc.
4. Even if leaderless, appoint a moderator: just someone to keep it centered.
5. Open with a prayer: impromptu, written, ancient, modern, or maybe best…silent.
6. Play a worship song or hymn: live or recorded. No cheese please.
7. Read a passage from the Bible without agenda.
8. Talk about it. Try not to hold to any theological persuasion. Keep it open.
9. Close with prayer…maybe for someone present.
10. Have an end time and promise to keep it.