A few years ago I wrote an article titled “81%.” The article highlighted the following statistic: 81 percent of women who had an abortion said they would not have aborted if the man involved had been supportive.
Here is another statistic I want to share: 100 percent of abortions involve a male. While this statement may seem like common sense, every pregnancy involves both a woman and a man. Every woman facing a pregnancy had the help of a man.
By the way, did you know that 51.2 percent of babies are male? So, abortion is not just a woman’s issue. It’s a man’s issue. To be fair, it is a human issue.
Men, we cannot remain silent to this injustice. We must stand up and lead. So, reject passivity, accept responsibility and take some initiative. Consider doing the following:
- Pray for the widows, orphans (James 1:27) and single mothers you know by name. Then, see if you can help them in some tangible way.
- Get involved at a local pregnancy center. Go for a tour of the facility. If you have a wife and kids, take them with you. Have age-appropriate conversations with your kids about this issue.
- Be a volunteer. Have you ever considered that the woman who is at the pregnancy center was likely brought by the child’s father? What’s he doing while she is in the doctor’s office? Probably sitting in the lobby. You could simply be a friend. Provide a listening ear. “I hope you don’t mind me asking, how are you doing? Are you OK with all this?” When my wife was pregnant with our first child, I had a million things running through my mind and I needed someone to talk to. You could be a voice of reason for a guy who is likely freaking out.
- Give financially. Planned Parenthood is funded in part by the government. Your local pregnancy center is not. They need your support in both time and money.
- Go see the movie UnPlanned. The movie is very well done and powerful. It’s a difficult movie to watch, but you should go see it.
Are you pro-choice? First, thank you for reading this article. Second, please consider seeing UnPlanned as well. Attend with an open-mind, and be willing to see this issue from another perspective!
Are you a man who is facing a pregnancy (i.e., your girlfriend or wife is pregnant)? Fight for the life of your child. Do not encourage an abortion, and do not force the child’s mother to make this decision alone. Be kind and loving, and promise to support her and your child. Then, be a man, and keep your promise.
Men, we must stop being silent while our sisters are having this conversation. Abortion is a human rights issue, and it’s a man’s issue. As I tell my sons, “Men help those who can’t help themselves. We stand up for those who cannot stand-up for themselves.” Use your voice and your actions to stand up for the unborn.
This article originally appeared here.