These humility quotes are great to share with you because humility is a critical trait for Christian leaders. Take a look at what James 4:6 (NIV) says about humility: “God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.” Other translations say it like this:
- God gives grace to the humble!
- God favors the humble!
- God blesses all who are humble!
MORE! More grace! Who wouldn’t want the grace that comes from living life before God with humility!?
Humility Quotes From Christian Leaders
- When you let humility and receptivity define you, “You don’t become arrogant, you don’t become brash, you don’t become proud. Rather, God gives you a “holy boldness” to proclaim the truth more accurately.”
– Brian Houston
2. “When my heart is postured before God humbly in my daily life, in moments unseen by the rest of the world, humility informs and drives my other activities, from leading worship to performing a show. In my opinion, true humility is agreeing with God about who I am, nothing more and nothing less.”
– Audrey Assad
3. “Humility comes from a realistic view of oneself in light of the grace given us in Christ. The word originates from the Latin “humus,” meaning “earth, dirt.” It is knowing and embracing the reality that we are dust. Connected with humility is a confidence in one’s vocational calling and identity. A confident leader finds their identity in Christ, seeing themselves as a child of God, deeply loved and called to His mission. We’re loved dust. This Christ-based identity allows His love to foster a confidence in Him, knowing we are created in His image and any gifts, strength or opportunities we have are a demonstration of His grace in our lives.”
– Joel Mayward
4. “Humility is NOT low self-image.” “It starts with a healthy view of self. Humble people understand their worth as men and women created in the image of God, the pinnacle of His creation. A culture where people are insecure and unaware of their infinite worth breeds a host of destructive behaviors (addiction, fornication and the like).”
– Frank Powell
5. “Humility is the first key to any successful time of worship. Throughout the entire Bible the primary Hebrew and Greek words for worship mean humility. Without humility you cannot truly worship. Humility means to lower yourself and submit yourself to the will of another. So when you worship, you are coming under submission of the Holy Spirit, and allowing Him to act, walk, and speak in and through you. Romans 12 says it best by saying that you should present, or submit, your body to God as a living sacrifice.”
– Russell Henderson
6. “Is there any trait more odious than pride or more precious than humility? Is there any trait whose presence we so highly honor in others and whose absence we so readily excuse in ourselves? Truly, pride is the chief of sins and humility the highest of virtues. Yet the Christian has the joy of seeing the Holy Spirit put pride to death and bring to life the beauty of humility.”
– Tim Challies
7. “True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less.”
– C.S. Lewis
8. “I think that’s why Peter says to “Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another.” Humility isn’t natural to fallen humans. But when Jesus saves us and fills us with his Spirit, we begin to change. It doesn’t happen automatically. We must make an effort – clothe ourselves – with humility. We must put humility on. This doesn’t mean we fake it, but that we begin to do it, even though it takes effort. Putting on humility isn’t easy.”
– Mark Altrogge
Humility Quotes Memes