Most of us struggle with prayer. Even when we know we should pray, it’s not always easy to do it. Maybe one way to start praying more fervently is to pray like Jesus did as recorded in the Gospel of Luke:
1. Pray as you commit yourself to God’s work: “When Jesus also was baptized and was praying, the heavens were opened” (3:21).
2. Start the day with prayer: “And when it was day, he departed and went to a desolate place” (4:42). Mark 1:35 tells us that Jesus went to this place to pray.
3. Push away from the crowds to pray: “Great crowds gathered to hear him … but he would withdraw to desolate places and pray” (5:15-16).
4. Pray for people to invest in, just as Jesus did before calling His disciples: “He went out to the mountain to pray, and all night he continued in prayer to God” (6:12).
5. Pray thanksgiving for food: “And taking the five loaves and the two fish, he looked up to heaven and said a blessing over them” (9:16).
6. Spend time praying alone: “Now it happened that as he was praying alone …” (9:18).
7. Take others to pray with you on a prayer retreat: “He took with him Peter and John and James and went up on the mountain to pray” (9:28).
8. Just rejoice in prayer: “In that same hour he rejoiced in the Holy Spirit and said, ‘I thank you, Father” (10:21).
9. Pray, and then teach others how to pray: “Now Jesus was praying in a certain place. … And he said to them, ‘When you pray, say …’” (11:1-2).
10. Pray for others under spiritual attack: “Simon, Simon, Satan demanded to have you … but I have prayed for you” (22:31-32).
11. Cry out to God in your grief: “Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me” (22:42).
12. Pray for God’s will to be done: “Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done” (22:42).
13. Pray for your enemies: “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do” (23:34).
14. Pray when you face death: “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit!” (23:46).
15. Pray blessings over Jesus’ followers: “Then he led them as far as Bethany, and lifting up his hands he blessed them” (24:50).
Why not use this list to focus your prayer life today? We can’t go wrong when we pray like Jesus prayed.