Each week in our children’s ministry service, we take a minute before the offering time to teach the kids a lesson about giving. We are seeking to give them a foundation of generosity, so they can experience a lifetime of the blessings and joy of being a giver.
Here are 10 object lessons we’ve used in recent months to teach kids about giving. Feel free to use these in your ministry.
Giving Is Greater Than Receiving
- Read Acts 20:35 with the kids – “It is more blessed to give than to receive.”
- Show the kids the words Giving and Receiving.
- Ask the kids which the Bible says is greater…giving or receiving?
- Explain to the kids that it’s OK to receive things. It’s nice to get awards, birthday gifts, etc.
- Show the kids this: GIVING > RECEIVING.
- But it’s even better to give to help others because it makes an eternal difference and you’re like Jesus when you give. He came to give instead of receive.
Don’t Close Your Eyes
- Read Proverbs 28:27 with the kids – “Whoever gives to the poor will lack nothing, but those who close their eyes to poverty will be cursed.”
- Bring up a picture of kids in need.
- Explain that there are people locally and around the world who are in need. They are in need physically and spiritually.
- When we see this, we have two choices.
- We can respond by giving or close our eyes to their needs.
- Have the kids close their eyes to the picture of the kids in need for a few seconds and then open them back up.
- Encourage kids to not close their eyes to those in need, but to look and respond by giving their offering to help others both physically and spiritually.
- When you do this, God has promised to provide for your needs.
- Read Luke 6:38 with the kids – “Give, and you will receive. Your gift will return to you in ful—pressed down, shaken together to make room for more, running over, and poured into your lap.”
- Hold up an empty clear cup.
- Have another clear cup that is half full with water.
- Pour some water from the half full cup into the empty cup.
- Bring out a clear pitcher of water.
- Use the pitcher to overflow the cup you poured water from.
- Explain as you are doing this that when we give, God has promised to fill us back up to overflowing. You can’t outgive God.
World’s Tallest Tree
- Show a picture of General Sherman—the tallest tree in the world. It is located in Sequoia National Park. It is 102 feet around and 275 feel tall.
- It started as a simple seed that was planted in the ground years ago (hold up a small seed and show the kids).
- When you give your offering, it’s like planting a seed. It will grow into big things and make a big impact in people’s lives.
In God We Trust
- Hold up a dollar bill. Ask kids if they have ever noticed that it says “In God We Trust.”
- This is a great reminder that when we give our offering, we can trust God to take care of us and provide for our needs.