The Scripture provides a number of phrases that describe the characteristics of the Holy Spirit.
13 Characteristics of the Holy Spirit
1. He is the Spirit of truth (John 14:17; 15:26; 16:13; 1 John 4:6). As such He guides us into all truth and seeks to keep us from error.
2. He is the Spirit of holiness (Rom. 1:4). As such He separates us unto God from all that is anti-God.
3. He is the Spirit of life in Christ (Rom. 8:2). As such He imparts life to those who depend on Him to keep us from the deadness of the flesh, both irreligious flesh and religious flesh.
4. He is the Spirit of adoption (Rom. 8:15). As such when we are born again as babes in Christ, He also adopts us in as mature sons with all the access rights to our inheritance in Christ.
5. He is the Spirit of faith (2 Cor. 4:13). As such when we look unto Jesus through the Word, He authors faith in our hearts by convincing us of the reality of truth so that we might exercise faith.
6. He is the Spirit of promise (Eph. 1:13). As such He seals us unto the day of redemption, moving into and joining our regenerated spirits, promising there is more to come.
7. He is the Spirit of wisdom (Eph. 1:17). As such He imparts to us discernment and skill to apply biblical knowledge to real life.
8. He is the Spirit of revelation in the knowledge of God (Eph. 1:17). As such He reveals to us the person of God to enhance our relationship with God and keep us from ritualism.
9. He is the Spirit of power (2 Tim. 1:7). As such He imparts divine ability because spiritual ministry demands spiritual energy.
10. He is the Spirit of love (2 Tim. 1:7). As such He imparts supernatural love that would otherwise not be experienced.
11. He is the Spirit of a sound mind (2 Tim. 1:7). As such He keeps us stable and free from instability and vacillation.
12. He is the Spirit of grace (Heb. 10:29). As such He is the agent of the Godhead who supernaturally enables us to do the will of God.
13. He is the Spirit of glory (1 Pet. 4:14). As such He radiates the glory of Jesus in us so we are aglow with Christ.
What a glorious Holy Spirit—the Spirit of the Father and the Spirit of the Son!
This article originally appeared here.