So you’re playing keyboards for your worship band this Sunday! Here are some proven steps and practices to help you do a great job.
1. Download the charts & MP3s
• Get your charts early. Start practicing as soon as the charts are available.
• Download from PlanningCenter.com or other online sources. (You can also upload to Dropbox)
• Put the charts on your iPad or print them off.
• Download the MP3s and make a playlist or use Planning Center’s Service app and Media player
• Double check to see what keys you are playing in.
• What key is the recording in? Transpose the MP3 if necessary.
2. Listen to the original recordings
• What is the keyboardist(s) playing on the recording?
• What is the exact tempo?
• When does the keyboard sit out?
• What voicing is the player using?
• What is the musical feel for this song?
• Is this a keyboard song or guitar-based song?
• What are the lead lines that are important for you to play?
3. What are the best sounds to use for this set?
• Piano Sound
• E-Piano sounds (Rhodes & FM)
• Strings, Pads & Vox
• B-3 sounds
• Pipe Organ
• Ethereal sounds
• Bass sounds
• Brass patches
4. What keyboards do you have?
Spend time with your keyboards and mark down your favorite patches and learn how to access them quickly. Create your own user settings.