What happened on Good Friday? How is Good Friday celebrated? These amazing Good Friday quotes are from Good Friday sermons on our sister site SermonCentral.com.
17 Powerful Good Friday Quotes
- “After this, Jesus, knowing that all things had already been accomplished, in order that the Scripture might be fulfilled, *said, ‘I am thirsty.’ A jar full of sour wine was standing there; so they put a sponge full of the sour wine upon a branch of hyssop, and brought it up to His mouth. When Jesus therefore had received the sour wine, He said, “It is finished!” And He bowed His head, and gave up His spirit. John 19:1-30 (NASV) Tom Shepard in Living In Troubled Times – A Good Friday Meditation Series
2. “Good Friday services are not intended to make you feel good. They are intended to make you reflect on the fact that – bad stuff happens to good people – because it does. Bad stuff happened to Jesus – and it happens to us and sometimes it does not make sense.” Tom Shepard in Living In Troubled Times – A Good Friday Meditation Series
3. “The CROSS GRIEVED the disciples. They were GRIEVED because of Christ’s death. Had He died by accident or from robbers they could have accepted it. But to voluntarily SURRENDER to His enemies just didn’t make sense. His death seemed so senseless, so futile, so wasteful. It could have been avoided, but He chose, to die.” From Danny Presswood in The Lamb and The Cross
4. “The disciples had seen Jesus perform many miracles. They had seen Him raise people from the dead. They knew He could have saved Himself if He wanted to. But He didn’t. He actually let them kill Him.” From Danny Presswood in The Lamb And The Cross
5. “The most AMAZING thing about the Easter Story is not the RESURRECTION OF CHRIST! As truly astounding and miraculous as that was, Jesus promised it would happen! I believe the MOST AMAZING thing about the Easter story is the men Jesus entrusted with His Kingdom and His Kingdom’s work! Do you see it? Fishermen like Andrew, Peter, James, and John. Matthew the tax collector and Simon the zealot! COMMON MEN. ORDINARY MEN. That is the AWESOMENESS of God, that His belief and trust in common men could not be daunted or shaken! He believes in us. Jesus believes in US! COMMON MEN! ORDINARY MEN! Teachers, businessmen, construction workers, secretaries, homemakers, salesmen, mechanics, white collar workers, blue collar workers, even preachers! Jesus believes that you and I CAN make a DIFFERENCE in the world in which we live!” From Danny Presswood in The Lamb and the Cross
6. “Jesus told the thief, ‘Today you will be with me in paradise.’ This meant the thief would be with Jesus right then upon the thief’s repentance and confession. Oh what a glorious day it was for him and what a glorious day it is for you and me. Is today, your day?” From Maria Saunders in Listen, It’s Not Too Late…there’s Always Hope!
7. “The message of the cross, while terrible, contains a message of hope for us who benefit from it. Through the power of Christ on the cross beams there is forgiveness and a new chance at life because of what Jesus accomplished there for us. While the cross is a symbol of grievous suffering and a torturous death, it is also a symbol of the great compassion of our God.” From Garth Wehrfritz-Hanson in Good Friday
8. “Good Friday was not so good. We like the story of the Conquering King – but we squirm at the thought of a Suffering Servant. Yet that is what Jesus was – He was our Suffering Servant – before He became our Conquering King.” From Garth Wehrfritz-Hanson in Good Friday