Lots of small groups take the Christmas season off. And that’s fine. But if you’re one of the groups that really loves Jesus (wink), you’re not taking the season off. You’re soldiering through like the little drummer boy who could. Massive traveling, family celebrating and time off work won’t slow you and your group down! If you’re one of the groups that’s meeting throughout the month of December, you may be wondering what you can do for Christmas ideas for small groups that’s a little outside of the norm. I’ve got some suggestions.
15 Christmas Ideas for Small Groups
Don’t feel bad about wanting to have fun together as a group this Christmas season. Having fun together is very biblical.
- White elephant gift exchange. See explanation HERE.
- Ornament exchange.
- Potluck with your favorite Christmas dish.
- “Favorite book” exchange.
- Celebrate with a gift exchange mid-January. That way, you can get gifts on sale and extend the celebration of the birth of Jesus. Jesus would probably have loved a good sale. Am I right?!?
- Email your pastor for families in need, and serve them food and gifts.
- Contact your local public school system and tell them you’d like to sponsor ___ families with food and gifts this Christmas. Ask them to connect you with the families.
- Contact your local Salvation Army and sign up to ring the bell.
- Write letters to soldiers who are deployed, if you live in a military town.
- Bless your pastor. Examples: a gift card to Amazon, a night away for him and his wife, or a gift card to a nice local restaurant.
- The Purpose of Christmas book and/or study guide, by Rick Warren
- Christmas Reboot, by Alan Danielson
- Advent Conspiracy, by Rick McKinley
- Study through the sermons your pastor preaches this Christmas season
- Study Luke 2. Try using the Serendipity Bible to help.
Is your small group meeting for the Christmas season? What Christmas ideas for small groups do you have?