I love to help worship leaders and worship pastors grow and become all that God has called them to be. I hope these 12 keys challenge you like they challenge me. I have been leading worship and pastoring for over 30 years, but I still go back to this list to see what I need to work on in order to stay a successful worship pastor!
Countdown: 12 Keys to Being a Successful Worship Pastor
12. Develop your administrative skills
- Are you creating timely schedules for your musicians and planning ahead on the church calendar?
- Are your worship sets and services well-organized?
- Do your worship teams get their music well in advance so they can be excellent?
11. Learn to run highly effective rehearsals
- Are you spending enough time with the music to get past it and worship?
- Are you giving your team all the tools they need to be successful?
- Are you and your team memorizing the songs?
10. Learn to pick great worship songs
- Are you teaching your congregation the great songs from around the world?
- Do you ever go outside your preferences in musical styles?
- Are you developing a balanced repertoire of fast, medium and slow songs?
9. Develop a strong team
- Do you have a system for bringing along new musicians?
- Are you developing multiple musicians for each position?
- Are you helping your team grow spiritually?
8. Be a great worshipper
- Are you keeping it real? Are you the same on and off the stage?
- Are there areas in your life that are holding you back from God’s richest blessings?
- Do you love the Lord with all your heart and are you a passionate worshipper?
7. Never stop growing
- Are you practicing your singing and playing on a daily basis?
- Are you taking lessons and improving your craft and leadership?
- Are you changing and growing with the new trends, styles and songs?