I love to help worship leaders and worship pastors grow and become all that God has called them to be. I hope these 12 keys challenge you like they challenge me. I have been leading worship and pastoring for over 30 years, but I still go back to this list to see what I need to work on!
12. Develop your administrative skills
- Are you creating timely schedules for your musicians and planning ahead on the church calendar?
- Are your worship sets and services well-organized?
- Do your worship teams get their music well in advance so they can be excellent?
11. Learn to run highly effective rehearsals
- Are you spending enough time with the music to get past it and worship?
- Are you giving your team all the tools they need to be successful?
- Are you and your team memorizing the songs?
10. Learn to pick great worship songs
- Are you teaching your congregation the great songs from around world?
- Do you ever go outside your preferences in musical styles?
- Are you developing a balanced repertoire of fast, medium and slow songs?
9. Develop a strong team
- Do you have a system for bringing along new musicians?
- Are you developing multiple musicians for each position?
- Are you helping your team grow spiritually?
8. Be a great worshipper
- Are you keeping it real? Be authentic; are you the same on and off the stage?
- Are there areas in your life that are holding you back from God’s richest blessings?
- Do you love the Lord with all your heart and are you a passionate worshipper?
7. Never stop growing
- Are you practicing your singing and playing on a daily basis?
- Are you taking lessons and improving your craft and leadership?
- Are you changing and growing with the new trends, styles and songs?
6. Keep your heart soft and pliable before God
- Have you learned to forgive and forgive again?
- Do you have good friends who can speak into your life?
- Do you have safeguards to keep you from falling into temptation?
5. Develop a good relationship with your pastor
- Do you have a weekly or bi-weekly meeting with your pastor?
- Are you supporting your pastor in private and public?
- Have you ever had your pastor and his wife over for dinner?
4. Mentor the next generation of leaders
- Are you looking for and developing the potential leaders on your team?
- Are you giving room for new leaders to lead a song or worship time?
- Jesus spent over three years developing His team; are you following His example?
3. Love the church like Jesus loves the church
- Are you building God’s kingdom or yours?
- Do you love the people you are leading?
- Jesus laid down His life for us, are you willing to lay down your life?
2. Love your spouse and family
- Are you carving out regular time in your schedule for your spouse and family?
- Are you taking one day off per week?
- When is the last time you had a date with your spouse?
1. Love and spend time with God daily
- Are you reading your Bible daily?
- Where is your secret place to meet with God?
- How is your daily prayer life? Are you praying and obeying?
Here are some related posts:
- 10 Ways to Improve Your Worship Team ~ Part 1 of 4
- Actions Speak So Loud (Biblical Actions of Worship)
- Bible Reading Challenge
- 8 Tips on Taking Your Sunday Morning Worship to the Next Level
This article originally appeared here.