Teaching youth lessons on prayer is a great way to help teens and young adults grow closer to Jesus. Check out this Bible study from author Ken Castor. Through movie clips, Scripture exploration, and in-depth application questions, kids will discover the power of prayer.
Youth Lessons on Prayer: The Blessings of Relationship With Jesus
First, here are the supplies you’ll need for this Bible study:
- Copies of Philippians 4:6-7 (NIV) on sheets of paper and a pen for each student.
- A video display and internet connection.
Next, preview the following YouTube clips:
Now begin the lesson.
Say: Let’s look at one of the most obvious (but perhaps one of the hardest and most misunderstood) practices that helps us grow closer to Jesus. You’ve probably heard of it—it’s called prayer.
Conversation with Jesus, just like conversation with your best friends, is critical to making our relationship with him the center of our lives. But conversation, just as in real life, doesn’t always have to feel amazing. And it doesn’t always have to be perfect.
Media Application and Discussions
Play the Pre-Blessed Food clip.
Say: Sometimes the only time people think about praying is before a meal.
• When and why do you pray?
• Why do people sometimes feel inadequate to pray? Or why do some people feel as if they need someone else to pray for them?
Play the Holy Hand Grenade clip from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Then ask:
- What was odd about that prayer?
- Why do some people think prayer involves extravagant language?
- How would it impact your relationships if you had conversations like this? What expectations would such flowery language communicate to your friends?
Ask someone to read aloud Matthew 6:9-13. Then play The Campaign Movie clip.