Today is that special day of the year where Star Wars fans get to say “May the 4th be with you” in reference to the famous Jedi blessing “May the force be with you.” I’d guess the percentage is pretty high that everyone reading this has seen at least one of the Star Wars movies, and the odds that some of you have referenced something from Star Wars in one of your sermons is…well in the words of Han Solo, “Never tell me the odds.”
There is no evidence of the Star Wars movies being based on Christian principles, but that hasn’t stopped people from wanting them to be. If you Google Star Wars + Christianity you’ll find out what I mean, including this book.
In an attempt at being relevant, we thought it’d be fun to post some of the quotes from the movies that just maybe, possibly have come from biblical principles.
Here is our list of top 10 Star Wars quotes that could potentially be over-spiritualized. Enjoy!
1. “Who’s more foolish? The fool or the fool who follows him?” — Obi-Wan
2. “The ability to speak does not make you intelligent.” — Qui-Gon Jinn
3. “Sometimes we must let go of our pride and do what is requested of us.” — Padme
4. “Always pass on what you have learned.” — Yoda
5. “Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” — Yoda
6. “Your focus determines your reality.” — Qui-Gon Jinn
7. “In my experience there is no such thing as luck.” — Obi-Wan Kenobi
8. “The belonging you seek is not behind you…it is ahead.” — Maz Kanata
9. “Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.” —Yoda
10. “Your eyes can deceive you. Don’t trust them.” — Obi-Wan Kenobi
Bonus: “All mentors have a way of seeing more of our faults than we would like. It’s the only way we grow.” — Padme
Double bonus: “I find your lack of faith disturbing.” — Darth Vader
Finally, if church leaders had written the script for Star Wars, we would have said: May the Holy Spirit be with you, in you and working through you!