I love the passage in Nehemiah chapter 4:10 which states, “In Judah it was said, ‘The strength of those who bear the burdens is failing. There is too much rubble. By ourselves we will not be able to rebuild the wall.’”
I can relate to this passage and how Nehemiah was feeling. There are times I feel stuck in rubble as well. Sometimes, everything I look at is rubble with no way out. Hopelessness can become an unwelcome constant companion.
If you have been in leadership any length of time, you have been there. In every leader’s life there are times we just feel stuck with no idea how to get positive momentum going.
So what did Nehemiah do? His actions in the following verses provide us a template for getting out of rubble and moving toward a brighter tomorrow.
The following are 16 Steps Leaders Can Take to Get Unstuck and get out of rubble:
- To Get Unstuck Surround Yourself With People You Love and Trust – “So in the lowest parts of the space behind the wall, in open places, I stationed the people by their clans…” – v. 13
- To Get Unstuck You Need The Right Tools and Resources – “with their swords, their spears, and their bows.” – v.13
- To Get Unstuck Rally Your Leaders First – “And I looked and arose and said to the nobles and to the officials…” – v.14
- To Get Unstuck Rally Your People Second – “and to the rest of the people…” – v.14
- To Get Unstuck Relax – “Do not be afraid of them.” – v.14
- To Get Unstuck Remember What God Has Done for You in the Past – “Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome…” – v.14
- To Get Unstuck You Must Engage the Battle – “and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your homes.” – v.14
- To Get Unstuck Get Back to Work – “We all returned to the wall, each to his work.” – v.15
- To Get Unstuck Assign People to Their Area of Expertise – “From that day on, half of my servants worked on construction, and half held the spears, shields, bows, and coats of mail.” – v. 16
- To Get Unstuck Support Those Who Are Working Hard – “And the leaders stood behind the whole house of Judah who were building on the wall.” – v. 16-17
- To Get Unstuck You Must Carry a Heavier Load – “Those who carried burdens were loaded in such a way that each labored on the work with one hand and held his weapon with the other.” – v. 17
- To Get Unstuck You Must Be Diligent – “And each of the builders had his sword strapped at his side while he built.” – v.18
- To Get Unstuck Everyone Must Rally Together – “The work is great and widely spread, and we are separated on the wall, far from one another. In the place where you hear the sound of the trumpet, rally to us there.” – v. 19-20
- To Get Unstuck Trust God and Allow Him to Help You – “Our God will fight for us.” – v.20
- To Get Unstuck Requires Great Time and Effort – “So we labored at the work, and half of them held the spears from the break of dawn until the stars came out. I also said to the people at that time, ‘Let every man and his servant pass the night within Jerusalem, that they may be a guard for us by night and may labor by day.’” – v. 21-22
- To Get Unstuck Requires a Great Team – “So neither I nor my brothers nor my servants nor the men of the guard who followed me, none of us took off our clothes; each kept his weapon at his right hand.” – v.23
What is one thing you learned from Nehemiah’s actions which can help you get unstuck?
This article originally appeared here.