Are there Bible verses for depression?
It depends what you mean.
The Bible is not a dispensary that we come to for our daily dose of inspiration or good feelings. The Bible is primarily the grand story of God’s plan to redeem a people for himself for the glory of his name.
Nevertheless, the Bible does speak directly to the depressed, which is good news for people like me who often find themselves engulfed in the darkness.
So yes, there are scriptures for depression. These verses shine light into dark places, give hope to the hopeless, and allow the depressed person to have God’s perspective rather than their own dismal view.
If you’re depressed, burn the following verses on your heart. Print them out. Think about them and rejoice in them. They can be life to you.
Now, one thing that’s really important to note as you read these verses: You probably won’t FEEL any different after reading these verses.
There’s this weird idea in some Christian circles that the moment you change your thinking your feelings will also change. That as you read these Bible verses for depression, the gloom will suddenly lift.
This couldn’t be further from the truth, especially when it comes to mental illness. But here’s the good news: All these promises are TRUE. They don’t depend on you. They’re all about God and his mighty works on your behalf.
As you read these, thank God that they’re true, regardless of what you feel.
With that being said, here are nine Bible verses for depression.
May these give you hope and strength as you wait for God to lead you out of the Valley of Darkness.
9 Bible Verses for Depression
If you want to jump to a particular verse, click the link:
- Bible Verses For Depression #1: Deuteronomy 31:8
- Bible Verses For Depression #2: Isaiah 41:10
- Bible Verses For Depression #3: Psalm 40:1-3
- Bible Verses For Depression #4: Psalm 3:3
- Bible Verses For Depression #5: Psalm 34:18-19
- Bible Verses For Depression #6: Isaiah 40:31
- Bible Verses For Depression #7: Isaiah 42:3
- Bible Verses For Depression #8: Matthew 11:28-30
- Bible Verses For Depression #9: Romans 8:38-39