This free Easter Sunday school lesson from Group Publishing’s Dig In Sunday school curriculum teaches elementary kids that Jesus defeated death. Pick and choose the sections to create the perfect lesson for your classroom.
Easter Sunday School Lesson: Teacher Prep
Dig In to the Bible
- Read: John 19:16–20:18
- In This Passage: Jesus dies on the cross. The world goes dark. His friends and followers are in mourning. But just when it seems like Jesus has lost…he comes back to life! Jesus is alive, and God wins! Through Jesus, we have victory over sin and death.
- Bible Point: God wins…
- Application: …so we have victory over sin and death.
- Summary Verse: “But thank God! He gives us victory over sin and death through our Lord Jesus Christ” (1 Corinthians 15:57).
- You’ll Be Teaching: God wins. Kids love winning. They celebrate victory in a soccer game or even a board game. There’s just nothing like the feeling of victory! Help kids see that even though we win some games and lose some, we all have ultimate victory through Jesus.
- Think About: What worry, fear, or temptation feels like it’s winning in your life right now? Surrender it to God.
Dig In to Prayer
- Pray that any kids who don’t know Jesus will want to be his friend after hearing this important message.
- This Easter Sunday school lesson is the most important thing for kids to hear and understand. Be flexible, and let the Spirit guide you. If kids have a lot of questions, it’s okay to go off-plan and help them.
Easter Sunday School Lesson: Opening (5 Minutes)
- Thank kids for coming.
- Just for fun, have kids jump up and say “Jesus is alive” to two friends.
- Make announcements.
- Introduce new kids.
Introduce the Easter Sunday School Lesson
Say: Today we’ll learn that Jesus beat sin and death. God wins, so we have victory over sin and death! Let’s talk more about winning.